Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
T: (770)-401-7646 | F: 770-460-1514
  • English
  • Español
  • Português

    Families belong together. At the Urbina Law Firm, L.L.C., we reunite U.S. citizens and permanent residents with their relatives and loved ones, preparing and filing the necessary family-based petitions to bring them to this country. If you live in the States of Georgia, North and South Carolina, Tennessee or Alabama, we can help you reunite your family.

    Our family-based immigration practice is focused on bringing families together as quickly and efficiently as possible. No matter your circumstances or the challenges you face, we are tireless in our efforts to obtain permanent resident status for those you love.

    Family-Based Visas

    Family-based visas are immigrant visas reserved for relatives of American citizens and lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who wish to join their family members in the U.S. However, not all family members are eligible to be sponsored by their U.S.-based relatives, and not all relatives are treated the same way under U.S. immigration law. An experienced immigration lawyer can guide you through the process, minimize the chances of any missteps, and reunite you with your family without unnecessary delay.

    The first step in the family-based immigration process is the filing of Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident on behalf of their qualifying relative. The I-130 must be accompanied by numerous forms and supporting documentation for it to be processed expeditiously.

    Immediate Relatives

    U.S. citizens can sponsor immediate family members and help them obtain Immediate Relative visas. There is no limit on the number of such visas USCIS can issue each year, making it the quickest way to obtain lawful status for qualifying family members.

    Immediate relative visa types include:

    • IR-1: Spouse of a U.S. Citizen
    • IR-2: Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen
    • IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen
    • IR-4: Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
    • IR-5: Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old

    Extended Family

    If not listed above, other family members can obtain visas as Preference Relatives. There are limits on the number of such visas approved each year, resulting in potentially long wait times before they are issued.

    There are different preference categories for specific types of relatives, and the farther down on the preference list the relative is, the lengthier the delay. In descending order, those categories are as follows:

    • First (FB1) – Unmarried sons and daughters (21 and over) of US Citizens;
    • Second A (FB2A) – Spouses and unmarried children of Lawful Permanent Residents;
    • Second B (FB2B) – Unmarried sons and daughters of Lawful Permanent Residents;
    • Third (FB3) – Married sons and daughters of US Citizens; and
    • Fourth (FB4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

    Let Us Help You Bring Your Family Together

    Obtaining a visa for your family member is not merely a matter of filling out forms and filing paperwork. The requirements for eligibility are detailed and lengthy, and the process can be daunting. There are criteria that both the sponsor and their relatives must meet, and failing to provide the proper information or documentation can result in a much longer separation from your family than necessary.

    The Urbina Law Firm, L.L.C., can help bring your family together as quickly as possible so you can move forward together and continue building a life here in the U.S.

    Please give us a call at 770-401-7646, or fill out our online form to arrange for your confidential initial consultation.

    We look forward to assisting you.