bar icon Menu
phone icon Call

Family Immigration Lawyer

Live, Work, & Enjoy Life With Your Family In The U.S.
Google Reviews
Start your free consultation
Family Immigration Lawyer

Do you want to unite your family in the United States? Whether you are trying to emigrate to the U.S. or need to bring family members into the country, a family immigration lawyer can help you easily navigate the process to start your new chapter in the United States. Read on to learn the types of family-based immigration, who is eligible for a green card, and the steps involved.

Working With a Family Immigration Lawyer Makes the Process Easier

Any foreign citizen interested in permanent residence in the United States will need an immigrant visa. But the journey to getting a visa for foreign citizens can be long and challenging. A simple mistake can cause your application to be denied, which results in extreme delays in obtaining your visa.

A family-based immigration lawyer has extensive knowledge and familiarity with the U.S. immigration process. Your family visa attorney can review your documents for completeness and ensure the smoothest process possible.

Types of Family-Based Immigration

Family-based visas are a type of visa in the immigrant category. This type of visa enables U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents to petition for their family members to reside in the United States.

United States Citizen

Those with immediate relatives living in the United States are eligible for an Immediate Relative Immigrant Visa. This type of visa is not subject to yearly limits, as with some other Family Preference Visas.

Here are a few types of Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas for which someone may qualify:

  • IR-1—For an individual who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen. It enables them to join their partner in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident.
  • IR-2—For unmarried children of a U.S. citizen who are also under 21 and living outside of the U.S.
  • IR-3—For orphans adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen
  • IR-4—For orphans who will be adopted by a U.S. citizen
  • IR-5—For the parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old

Lawful Permanent Resident

A lawful permanent resident can also petition for someone residing outside the U.S.

This person must be a close family relative and will obtain an F2 visa:

  • F2A—A U.S. immigrant visa designed for spouses and minor children of individuals who hold green cards
  • F2B—A U.S. immigrant visa designed for unmarried children of individuals who have green cards

Family Preference Visa

Family Preference Visas are also designed for familial relationships other than a spouse, child, or parents. These types of visas have limits on approvals each fiscal year. Once the visa has been approved, qualifying foreign relatives must wait until an immigrant visa number is available.

Who is Eligible?

It’s important to note that only two groups are eligible for a family immigration visa: immediate family members and those that fall under the family preference categories.

Immediate Relatives

  1. Spouses of U.S. citizens
  2. Unmarried children (who are under 21 years old) of U.S. citizens
  3. Orphans adopted abroad and orphans to be adopted by a U.S. citizen
  4. Parents of U.S. citizens (who are at least 21 years old)

Family Preference Categories

  1. Unmarried sons and daughters (over age 21) of U.S. citizens
  2. Spouses, minor children, and unmarried adult children (over age 21) of lawful permanent residents
  3. Married children of U.S. citizens, their spouses, and their minor children
  4. Siblings of U.S. citizens (who are over age 21), their spouses, and their minor children

Steps to Applying for a Family Immigration Visa

Once immigration officials approve the I-130 petition, or if an immigration visa is immediately available, there are two ways to obtain a family-based visa: Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status is explicitly used for immigrants in the U.S. This is typically reserved for immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen on a nonimmigrant visa and lawfully entered the U.S. For instance, a Chinese parent visiting the U.S. on a tourist visa to see their child may decide to relocate and can adjust to being a permanent resident.

Consular Processing

Consular Processing is designed for immigrants either inside or outside the U.S. This is the process used when an immigrant is applying for a green card through the U.S. embassy or consular office in a foreign country. If the visa expires for the individual looking to obtain residency before their green card is ready, they will need to go back to their country and wait.

Obtain Help From a Family Immigration Lawyer

If you’re interested in starting the process of getting your family immigration visa, obtain help from an experienced family immigration attorney to help strengthen your case. Acquiring a visa involves various steps, paperwork, and time spent dealing with Immigration Services. That said, minimizing mistakes as you navigate the process to achieve a successful outcome is essential.

An experienced family immigration lawyer can walk you through all of the required steps and check documents for accuracy to avoid unnecessary issues that can stand in the way. In addition to this, a knowledgeable immigration lawyer can help you maneuver permits and regulations. Whether you need an employment visa to enter the U.S., want permanent residency, or are looking to obtain U.S. citizenship, getting help from a skilled family-based immigration attorney is the best option to consider.

You can begin the process today with a free consultation.

Practice Areas

Check your Visa Eligibility
Marriage Green Card through Consular ProcessFor married couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Marriage Green Card: Adjustment of StatusFor married couples in the U.S.
K-1 Fiancé VisaFor unmarried couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Removal of ConditionsFor those with expiring 2-year green cards
IR-2 Child VisaFor U.S. citizens with children outside of the U.S.
B1/B2 Tourist VisaFor individuals looking to travel to the U.S.
IR-5 Parent VisaFor U.S. citizens with foreign-born parents
U.S. Citizenship (Naturalization)For green card holders ready to become U.S. citizens
I-90 Green Card Renewal or ReplacementFor current green card holders
H-1B VisaFor foreign professionals who want to work in the U.S.
EB-5 VisaFor investors who want to immigrate to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor foreign investors to start a U.S. business
L-1 VisaFor multinational companies that want to transfer employees to the U.S.
O-1 VisaFor companies that want to bring extraordinary foreign talent to the U.S.
R-1 VisaFor religious workers who need a temporary U.S. visa
TN VisaFor citizens of Mexico and Canada who work in certain professions
F-1 Student VisaFor foreign students who want to study in the U.S.
NaturalizationFor permanent residents ready to become U.S. citizens
Adjustment of StatusFor immigrants looking to adjust their status
Denials & DelaysHelp with delays or denials in the immigration process
Derivative CitizenshipFor foreign-born children with a U.S. parent
Deportation DefenseLegal assistance and protection against deportation
DACAFor certain people who entered the U.S. unlawfully as children
AsylumFor individuals and families seeking asylum
U-VisaFor crime victims who are in fear of deportation
T-VisaFor victims of human trafficking
Affirmative Deferred Action
EB-5For investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.

Our Videos

MENTIR Es El ERROR MÁS GRANDE Que Puede Hacer Por Su Caso
Un Mensaje Importante En Este Dia de Acción de Gracias
¿Qué es el Proyecto de Apoyo Para Solicitantes de Asilo?