Unreasonable Delay for Citizenship in Marietta

Live, Work, & Enjoy Life With Your Family In The U.S.
Google Reviews
Start your free consultation
Unreasonable Delay for Citizenship in Marietta

Submitting your application to become a U.S. citizen after years of living in the country as a Legal Permanent Resident may have been one of the most exciting moments of your life. However, if you have been waiting for months or years for a response to your petition, that initial excitement has likely turned into frustration.

It is all too common for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to run into problems while processing citizenship applications, leading to lengthy delays that can leave applicants desperate for answers. If you are dealing with an unreasonable delay for citizenship in Marietta, a dedicated citizenship attorney could work with you to identify the issue and take appropriate action to resolve it.

Common Reasons for Citizenship Application Delays

Unfortunately, individuals who apply to become naturalized citizens of the United States usually have to wait a long time to get a final response from USCIS, even under the best of circumstances. According to the USCIS “Case Processing Times” site, the Field Office in Atlanta, Georgia—which would handle most applications filed by Marietta residents—can take anywhere from 13.5 to 25.5 months on average to process an N-400 Application for Naturalization.

However, if someone at USCIS misplaces some paperwork, if there is an issue with a background check performed by some other agency, or there is simply a backlog of citizenship applications to work through, the waiting period for a hopeful applicant may drag out for multiple years. Under these circumstances, a delay for citizenship in Marietta may be extreme enough to be considered “unreasonable,” and it may be time to take legal action with help from an immigration attorney.

Options for Resolving an Unreasonable Delay

In most circumstances, there are a few options for resolving an immigration delay that are worth trying before proceeding to litigation. Contacting USCIS or the Atlanta Field Office directly, contacting the FBI to determine whether an issue with a background check is the cause for the delay, and contacting federal officials or members of Congress for help can sometimes get an application moving without having to involve a federal court.

If those options have been exhausted with no change in application status, an immigration lawyer could help file a petition for a writ of mandamus. This is essentially a federal court order demanding that USCIS fulfill their application-processing duties in a timely fashion. Alternatively, applicants who have already completed their citizenship interview may file suit under 8 U.S. Code § 1447(b) if they do not receive a final decision on their application within 120 days of that interview. Qualified legal counsel in Marietta could help determine whether a delay for citizenship is “unreasonable” enough to warrant legal action.

Ask a Marietta Attorney for Help with an Unreasonable Delay for Citizenship

It is an unfortunate fact that naturalization applicants have to wait a long time to get a response to their petition for U.S. citizenship, due to delays in USCIS processing of these applications. Despite this, there is a point where delays become unreasonable, and if you have been waiting years to receive a verdict from USCIS, your case may have reached that point.

Assistance from a knowledgeable legal professional can be key to resolving an unreasonable delay for citizenship in Marietta. Schedule your consultation by calling today.

Practice Areas

  • Family Based
  • Employment Based
  • Citizenship
  • Humanitarian Relief
  • Investor Visas
Check your Visa Eligibility
Marriage Green Card through Consular ProcessFor married couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Marriage Green Card: Adjustment of StatusFor married couples in the U.S.
K-1 Fiancé VisaFor unmarried couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Removal of ConditionsFor those with expiring 2-year green cards
IR-2 Child VisaFor U.S. citizens with children outside of the U.S.
B1/B2 Tourist VisaFor individuals looking to travel to the U.S.
IR-5 Parent VisaFor U.S. citizens with foreign-born parents
U.S. Citizenship (Naturalization)For green card holders ready to become U.S. citizens
I-90 Green Card Renewal or ReplacementFor current green card holders
H-1B VisaFor foreign professionals who want to work in the U.S.
EB-5 VisaFor investors who want to immigrate to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor foreign investors to start a U.S. business
L-1 VisaFor multinational companies that want to transfer employees to the U.S.
O-1 VisaFor companies that want to bring extraordinary foreign talent to the U.S.
R-1 VisaFor religious workers who need a temporary U.S. visa
TN VisaFor citizens of Mexico and Canada who work in certain professions
F-1 Student VisaFor foreign students who want to study in the U.S.
NaturalizationFor permanent residents ready to become U.S. citizens
Adjustment of StatusFor immigrants looking to adjust their status
Denials & DelaysHelp with delays or denials in the immigration process
Derivative CitizenshipFor foreign-born children with a U.S. parent
Deportation DefenseLegal assistance and protection against deportation
DACAFor certain people who entered the U.S. unlawfully as children
AsylumFor individuals and families seeking asylum
U-VisaFor crime victims who are in fear of deportation
T-VisaFor victims of human trafficking
Affirmative Deferred Action
EB-5For investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.

Our Videos

MENTIR Es El ERROR MÁS GRANDE Que Puede Hacer Por Su Caso
Un Mensaje Importante En Este Dia de Acción de Gracias
¿Qué es el Proyecto de Apoyo Para Solicitantes de Asilo?