Marietta I-90 Green Card Renewal Lawyer

Live, Work, & Enjoy Life With Your Family In The U.S.
Google Reviews
Start your free consultation
Marietta I-90 Green Card Renewal Lawyer

Your green card serves as proof of your lawful permanent resident (LPR) status, so you should seek legal representation for assistance with I-90 green card renewal. An LPR must have a current, unexpired green card, but you do not lose your LPR status simply because your card is expired.

You only lose LPR status if a judge revokes it or you abandon it by remaining outside of the United States for a prolonged period of time with no fixed intent to return. It is important to keep a green card current because it is required by law. The green card serves as your travel document, meaning it will be required to reenter the country. The United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may deny you re-entry into the country if your green card is expired, and many employers and other benefit providers will require unexpired green cards.

Contact a Marietta I-90 Green Card Renewal Lawyer

If you are seeking an I-90 green card renewal in the Marietta area of Georgia, you are going to want to have legal guidance on how to accomplish your goals. An experienced attorney who has a solid record of citizenship & legalization issues such as employment-based immigration will best assist you.

Renewing a green card is somewhat similar to reporting a lost green card, but there are some significant differences in the processes. You can get a free consultation and talk to a permanent resident lawyer when you call our firm or contact us online.

I-90 Renewal Eligibility

The I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, is the application you will use to renew a green card. You have to file this form with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when your green card is expired or is about to expire. Permanent residents will use Form I-90 when they need to renew their green cards if they have 10-year green cards that have expired or will be expiring in the next six months.

This process does not apply to LPRs who have conditional green cards that expire two years after being issued because they must follow a different process to replace the cards with a permanent green card that will be valid for 10-year renewable periods. That process is called removing the conditions on the green card and involves filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence for people who have a conditional marriage-based green card, or Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

You can file your I-90 online if:

  • The green card has expired or will expire within six months
  • The green card was lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed
  • Your name or other personal information changed
  • You have an old version of the green card that is now invalid
  • You are a “commuter,” meaning you live in either Canada or Mexico but travel to the United States for work
  • You have been a “commuter” but now reside in the United States
  • Your immigration status has been automatically converted to “green card holder”

You will have to file by mail if:

  • You are applying for a fee waiver
  • You were issued a green card but never received it
  • Your green card contains an error by USCIS
  • You received a 10-year green card before you were 14 years of age, and it will not expire before you turn 16

I-90 Renewal Process

Completing the I-90 process will involve the following steps.

Complete an I-90 renewal application online or by mail.

To apply online, you will create a USCIS online account or sign in if you already have one and follow the instructions. You will complete the online Form I-90, upload your supporting documents, review your answers, and sign electronically. Pay any fees and submit your online Form I-90. To apply by mail, you will download and complete a paper Form I-90, then write a check or complete a money order or credit card authorization form for applicable fees, and gather your supporting documents. Mail your renewal or replacement application.

Gather your supporting documents.

If your green card is expired or will expire within six months, you’ve received a 10-year green card before age 14 that does not expire before you turn 16, your green card contains an error made by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or you have an old and now invalid version of the green card, your supporting documentation will be your green card. When your green card is lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed, your supporting documents will be your green card and a government-issued ID that shows your name, birthdate, photo, and signature (such as a passport, driver’s license, or military ID).

If you had a green card issued by USCIS and you never received it, then your supporting documents will be a government-issued ID showing your name, birthdate, photo, and signature and either your latest Form I-797 Notice of Action or your passport page that has an I-551 stamp. When your name or personal information has changed, your supporting documents will be a green card and any legal document showing your new or correct name or personal information. Such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce papers, adoption papers, passport, or other court documents.

If you are a commuter, you need your green card and evidence of your employment within the past six months, examples being pay stubs or an employment verification letter. If you were a commuter but now reside in the United States, you will need your green card and proof of your U.S. residence, such as a lease agreement, property deed, or utility bills dated within the past six months.

If your immigration status has been automatically converted to a green card holder, you will need a government-issued ID that shows your name, birthdate, photo, and signature, and evidence of temporary-resident status through either Form I-797, Notice of Action, or Form I-700, Application for Status as a Special Agricultural Worker.

Pay the government fees (if required).

USCIS says the filing fee for Form I-90 is $455 but also involves an $85 biometrics fee, that brings the total cost to $540. Fees are nonrefundable, but you can be exempt from certain fees. You will pay nothing if USCIS issued your green card, but you never received it, your green card contains an error (or errors) made by DHS, or you qualify for a fee waiver by proving to the government that you cannot afford the fees because you have low income, experience financial hardship, or receive public benefits. You will only pay $85 if you have turned 14 years of age in the last 30 days, and the green card will expire after you turn 16.

Submit your application, and wait for your new green card.

After USCIS receives your green card renewal or replacement application, it will send you updates by mail and to your USCIS online account. The updates will include a confirmation letter that USCIS received and accepted your application, a biometrics appointment letter sent within two weeks after USCIS receives your application detailing where and when USCIS will take your fingerprints, photo, and signature, a Request for Evidence (RFE) letter if USCIS needs additional documentation or information, and a decision letter stating whether your Form I-90 was approved or denied.

How a Marietta I-90 Green Card Renewal Lawyer Can Help You

Do you need help filing an I-90 in Marietta? Make sure you are working with an attorney who handles various kinds of visas and the surrounding issues.

An employment-based immigration lawyer will make the difference in ensuring you can retain your LPR status. You should call an attorney or contact one online to receive a free consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Alien Registration Number, and how do I find it?

An A-Number (as it is also called) is a seven to nine-digit number found on multiple types of documents from USCIS. When an A-Number is fewer than nine digits, you simply enter a zero after the “A” and before the first digit, so you have a nine-digit number. U.S.-born citizens and many nonimmigrant visitors may not have alien registration numbers. If you have a green card, the Alien Registration Number will be on the front, usually underneath the USCIS#. For cards issued between 2004 and 2010, the A-Number is listed next to A#. If you do not have a green card, you can find your Alien Registration Number on other immigration documents, such as an Employment Authorization Document, or in the righthand corner of an immigrant visa.

My green card does not have an expiration date. Can I still use it?

During the 1970s and 1980s, the government issued green cards without an expiration date printed on them. People can generally continue to use these cards, but doing so will carry some risks. A green card that says I-151 or Form I-151 in small print on the card is an invalid card and needs to be replaced. People with green cards that have no expiration dates can face problems with entry into the United States, employment, or global entry kiosks.

Practice Areas

  • Family Based
  • Employment Based
  • Citizenship
  • Humanitarian Relief
  • Investor Visas
Check your Visa Eligibility
Marriage Green Card through Consular ProcessFor married couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Marriage Green Card: Adjustment of StatusFor married couples in the U.S.
K-1 Fiancé VisaFor unmarried couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Removal of ConditionsFor those with expiring 2-year green cards
IR-2 Child VisaFor U.S. citizens with children outside of the U.S.
B1/B2 Tourist VisaFor individuals looking to travel to the U.S.
IR-5 Parent VisaFor U.S. citizens with foreign-born parents
U.S. Citizenship (Naturalization)For green card holders ready to become U.S. citizens
I-90 Green Card Renewal or ReplacementFor current green card holders
H-1B VisaFor foreign professionals who want to work in the U.S.
EB-5 VisaFor investors who want to immigrate to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor foreign investors to start a U.S. business
L-1 VisaFor multinational companies that want to transfer employees to the U.S.
O-1 VisaFor companies that want to bring extraordinary foreign talent to the U.S.
R-1 VisaFor religious workers who need a temporary U.S. visa
TN VisaFor citizens of Mexico and Canada who work in certain professions
F-1 Student VisaFor foreign students who want to study in the U.S.
NaturalizationFor permanent residents ready to become U.S. citizens
Adjustment of StatusFor immigrants looking to adjust their status
Denials & DelaysHelp with delays or denials in the immigration process
Derivative CitizenshipFor foreign-born children with a U.S. parent
Deportation DefenseLegal assistance and protection against deportation
DACAFor certain people who entered the U.S. unlawfully as children
AsylumFor individuals and families seeking asylum
U-VisaFor crime victims who are in fear of deportation
T-VisaFor victims of human trafficking
Affirmative Deferred Action
EB-5For investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.

Our Videos

MENTIR Es El ERROR MÁS GRANDE Que Puede Hacer Por Su Caso
Un Mensaje Importante En Este Dia de Acción de Gracias
¿Qué es el Proyecto de Apoyo Para Solicitantes de Asilo?