Marietta U Visa Lawyer

Live, Work, & Enjoy Life With Your Family In The U.S.
Google Reviews
Start your free consultation
Marietta U Visa Lawyer

U visas offer many benefits for immigrants wishing to stay in the United States. Those who obtain this immigration status will be able to enroll in universities, obtain driver’s licenses, and open bank accounts. Only specific individuals will qualify for a U visa. If you have questions about how to obtain one, speak to a Marietta U visa lawyer. A trustworthy immigration attorney could provide you with all that you need to know in order make this process go as smoothly as possible.

Who Qualifies for a U Visa?

An immigrant can qualify for a U visa if they report a crime and contribute to an investigation and prosecution. The law that created this type of visa works to encourage individuals to report crimes regardless of their immigration status. In the past, individuals with questionable immigration status might be victims of a crime but feared contacting law enforcement to report it, or serve as witnesses, because they might face deportation.

Noncitizens who are victims of a qualifying crime now have a potential opportunity to pursue legal immigration status when they report it to the authorities. Qualifying crimes include domestic violence, sexual abuse, felonious assault, kidnapping, and other severe criminal offenses. Certain family members of the victim may also qualify for this type of visa.

The first step in pursuing a U visa is to obtain certification, which is a document stating that the person was a crime victim, and helped law enforcement throughout their investigation and prosecution of the offender. It can be difficult and intimidating to pursue this type of visa. Fortunately, hiring a U visa lawyer in Marietta might help someone navigate the system without fear.

Work Permits on a U Visa

If a party qualifies for a U visa, either as the principal applicant or a family member, they may have the right to work in the United States. The visa will typically come with a four-year work permit.

Still, many people may face a period where they cannot legally work in the United States while they are waiting to obtain their visa. It is crucial that they comply with legal requirements mandated by their visas, as violations can impact their immigration status.

Obtaining a Green Card When Using a U Visa

Immigrants in the United States who are on U visas can apply for a green card or lawful permanent resident status. Before applying, they must ensure that they meet all legal requirements, including the following:

  • Physically living in the United States for at least three years
  • Physically present in the United States, without an interruption, for 90 days in a row or 180 days total, with certain exceptions related to law enforcement investigations
  • Having a valid U visa at the time of their application, and no past revocation of their visa

Other requirements also apply, including that the applicant always complies with law enforcement throughout the investigation of the crime that led to the immigrant’s U visa status.

Obtaining a green card is one step on the path to United States citizenship. If a person lives in the United States as a legal permanent resident for five years, they might qualify for naturalization. Immigration is a long and technical process, but hiring a lawyer in Marietta to assist with U visas and other immigration matters might make the process easier.

Hire a Marietta U Visa Attorney for Assistance

Obtaining a U visa stems from a traumatic event. If you are seeking a visa through this process, you will undoubtedly have to engage with law enforcement as well as immigration officials. Having an advocate on your side might help ensure that government officials do not violate your rights. Speak to a Marietta U visa lawyer today to discuss your case.

Practice Areas

  • Family Based
  • Employment Based
  • Citizenship
  • Humanitarian Relief
  • Investor Visas
Check your Visa Eligibility
Marriage Green Card through Consular ProcessFor married couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Marriage Green Card: Adjustment of StatusFor married couples in the U.S.
K-1 Fiancé VisaFor unmarried couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Removal of ConditionsFor those with expiring 2-year green cards
IR-2 Child VisaFor U.S. citizens with children outside of the U.S.
B1/B2 Tourist VisaFor individuals looking to travel to the U.S.
IR-5 Parent VisaFor U.S. citizens with foreign-born parents
U.S. Citizenship (Naturalization)For green card holders ready to become U.S. citizens
I-90 Green Card Renewal or ReplacementFor current green card holders
H-1B VisaFor foreign professionals who want to work in the U.S.
EB-5 VisaFor investors who want to immigrate to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor foreign investors to start a U.S. business
L-1 VisaFor multinational companies that want to transfer employees to the U.S.
O-1 VisaFor companies that want to bring extraordinary foreign talent to the U.S.
R-1 VisaFor religious workers who need a temporary U.S. visa
TN VisaFor citizens of Mexico and Canada who work in certain professions
F-1 Student VisaFor foreign students who want to study in the U.S.
NaturalizationFor permanent residents ready to become U.S. citizens
Adjustment of StatusFor immigrants looking to adjust their status
Denials & DelaysHelp with delays or denials in the immigration process
Derivative CitizenshipFor foreign-born children with a U.S. parent
Deportation DefenseLegal assistance and protection against deportation
DACAFor certain people who entered the U.S. unlawfully as children
AsylumFor individuals and families seeking asylum
U-VisaFor crime victims who are in fear of deportation
T-VisaFor victims of human trafficking
Affirmative Deferred Action
EB-5For investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.

Our Videos

MENTIR Es El ERROR MÁS GRANDE Que Puede Hacer Por Su Caso
Un Mensaje Importante En Este Dia de Acción de Gracias
¿Qué es el Proyecto de Apoyo Para Solicitantes de Asilo?