bar icon Menu
phone icon Call

Marietta F-1 Student Visa Lawyer

Live, Work, & Enjoy Life With Your Family In The U.S.
Google Reviews
Start your free consultation
Marietta F-1 Student Visa Lawyer

To study within the United States as a foreign student, you need a student visa. Two types of student visas are available under immigration law, an M-1 and an F-1. The F-1 student visa permits foreign students to attend a U.S. academic institution such as a college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, or conservatory. Vocational or non-academic students must apply for an M-1 visa. Furthering your education abroad can be exciting and nerve-wracking; a new place with new possibilities. You’re probably anxious to start, wondering, “What are my next steps, and how long will the process take?

That’s where we come in. We are an immigration law firm specializing in student visas, and we want to help you come to the United States for your studies. Our Marietta F-1 student visa immigration lawyers can set you up for success with your student visa application by guiding you through the step-by-step immigration law process to get started in your studies as soon as possible.

What Are the Requirements for an F-1 Student Visa?

Let’s start with the basics. To be eligible to apply for an F-1 student visa, there are certain requirements you have to meet under immigration law.

Those prerequisites are:

  • English proficiency or enrollment in courses leading to English proficiency
  • Proof of financial stability
  • Proof of intent to return to your home country
  • Proof that you live outside of the U.S
  • Acceptance to a SEVP-approved school as a full-time student

Often, applying and being approved to attend a U.S. school is the lengthiest part of the process. But once you have been accepted, with the help of an immigration attorney, you can move forward with preparing your F-1 visa application.

Apply for an F-1 Student Visa in Marietta Using a GA Immigration Attorney

Once accepted to an approved school, you will be issued a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. This is essentially your proof that you’re eligible for an F-1 visa.

After receiving the form, you will need to register on the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and pay the I-901 fee. For new applicants, this fee is $350.

Now that you’re registered in SEVIS and have your I-20, you can move forward with your F-1 visa application. This process will differ per country, but here’s what you can generally expect from the F-1 visa process:

  1. Take a photo of yourself that matches the Department of State guidelines
  2. Complete the online Nonimmigrant visa application, attaching the photo (Form DS-160)
  3. Print the application form confirmation page
  4. Schedule an interview with the U.S Embassy or Consulate in your country
  5. Pay the $160 application fee
  6. Prepare the required documents for the interview
  7. Attend your visa interview and receive approval or denial
  8. Pay the visa issuance fee (if applicable to your country)
  9. Receive your F-1 visa (up to 120 days before your class start date)
  10. Travel to the U.S.

A visa issuance does not guarantee entry into the United States. Instead, U.S Customs and Border Protection (CDP) at the port of entry (typically an airport) will approve or deny your entry.

If approved, you will receive a stamp on your I-94 form, Arrival/Departure Record. Keep in mind as an F-1 visa holder, you will be unable to work off-campus without special permission.

Extending an F-1 Visa

F-1 visa holders must leave the U.S within 60 days following their course end date or file an extension.

Immigration lawyers can help you request an extension, or you can submit a request to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Failing to leave the U.S or file an extension by the deadline will cause you to be “out of status,” resulting in your visa being voided.

Under immigration law, this can also make you ineligible for future visas.

Our Marietta F-1 Student Visa Immigration Lawyers Can Guide You Through the Application Process

Whether you’re applying for an F-1 visa for the first time, requesting an extension, or seeking a change in status, hiring an immigration lawyer can be your best chance at success.

Our immigration lawyers at Urbina Law Firm can help you process your application and help mitigate issues by:

  • Providing legal counsel
  • Reviewing your documents for accurate information
  • Assisting with filing your documents
  • Helping you apply for an extension
  • Assisting with green card applications

Bottom line – hiring an experienced immigration attorney can make all the difference when entering the U.S. for school.

If you’re ready to get started, contact our team of immigration lawyers at Urbina Law Firm in Marietta, GA, today for a free consultation.

Practice Areas

Check your Visa Eligibility
Marriage Green Card through Consular ProcessFor married couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Marriage Green Card: Adjustment of StatusFor married couples in the U.S.
K-1 Fiancé VisaFor unmarried couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Removal of ConditionsFor those with expiring 2-year green cards
IR-2 Child VisaFor U.S. citizens with children outside of the U.S.
B1/B2 Tourist VisaFor individuals looking to travel to the U.S.
IR-5 Parent VisaFor U.S. citizens with foreign-born parents
U.S. Citizenship (Naturalization)For green card holders ready to become U.S. citizens
I-90 Green Card Renewal or ReplacementFor current green card holders
H-1B VisaFor foreign professionals who want to work in the U.S.
EB-5 VisaFor investors who want to immigrate to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor foreign investors to start a U.S. business
L-1 VisaFor multinational companies that want to transfer employees to the U.S.
O-1 VisaFor companies that want to bring extraordinary foreign talent to the U.S.
R-1 VisaFor religious workers who need a temporary U.S. visa
TN VisaFor citizens of Mexico and Canada who work in certain professions
F-1 Student VisaFor foreign students who want to study in the U.S.
NaturalizationFor permanent residents ready to become U.S. citizens
Adjustment of StatusFor immigrants looking to adjust their status
Denials & DelaysHelp with delays or denials in the immigration process
Derivative CitizenshipFor foreign-born children with a U.S. parent
Deportation DefenseLegal assistance and protection against deportation
DACAFor certain people who entered the U.S. unlawfully as children
AsylumFor individuals and families seeking asylum
U-VisaFor crime victims who are in fear of deportation
T-VisaFor victims of human trafficking
Affirmative Deferred Action
EB-5For investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.

Our Videos

MENTIR Es El ERROR MÁS GRANDE Que Puede Hacer Por Su Caso
Un Mensaje Importante En Este Dia de Acción de Gracias
¿Qué es el Proyecto de Apoyo Para Solicitantes de Asilo?