bar icon Menu
phone icon Call

Applying for Legal Permanent Resident Status in Marietta

Live, Work, & Enjoy Life With Your Family In The U.S.
Google Reviews
Start your free consultation
Applying for Legal Permanent Resident Status in Marietta

Permanent residency status in the United States offers an individual the ability to live and work in the country permanently. Many immigrants seek to obtain legal permanent residency (LPR) status in Marietta.

Only specific individuals are eligible for this status – and as a result, applying for legal permanent residency status in Marietta can be confusing and complicated. Speak to a compassionate immigration attorney to discuss any questions you have about this process.

Who Can Apply for Legal Permanent Residency?

To apply for legal permanent residency status, an individual must first determine whether they are eligible. Eligible individuals include the following:

There are other less-common ways of qualifying for LPR status. A Marietta lawyer could help discuss possible eligibility with individuals looking to apply for legal permanent resident status.

Benefits of Obtaining Legal Permanent Residency

A green card holder will have the right to permanently stay in the United States and work in the country. These individuals can even apply for government jobs in many cases. There are also certain health and educational benefits that will come with obtaining a green card.

There are limits to what an immigrant with a green card can do as compared to a citizen. For instance, green card holders do not have the right to vote in any federal election. Also, green card holders who commit crimes might be deported and lose their immigration status.

After holding a green card for five years (or three years if the person is married to a United States citizen) it will be possible for that individual to apply for citizenship, which a lawyer could also assist with.

Steps to Obtain Legal Permanent Residency

After determining whether a person is eligible, the first step to applying for legal permanent resident status is to file a petition with The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A company or family member may need to file the petition for the applicant.

Next, USCIS may approve or deny the application. If USCIS approves the application and a visa is available in the category the individual applied under, then they can file an application and register as a permanent resident through consular processing. Individuals already in the country will file an adjustment of status application.

USCIS will then review the application for permanent residence. The applicant may attend a biometrics appointment and an interview with USCIS. After each of these steps are complete, USCIS may decide to approve the application and issue a green card. When applying for legal permanent resident status, it can be helpful to have a local attorney who could ensure that the applicant is meeting every step.

Discuss Applying for LPR Status in Marietta with an Attorney

If you are looking to move to the United States, applying for legal permanent resident status in Marietta is a major step that requires patience and cooperation.

To learn more about your potential ability to apply for and obtain legal residency status, speak to a lawyer. They can be a useful resource for managing this process and providing moral support on your journey.

Practice Areas

Check your Visa Eligibility
Marriage Green Card through Consular ProcessFor married couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Marriage Green Card: Adjustment of StatusFor married couples in the U.S.
K-1 Fiancé VisaFor unmarried couples where the foreign-born spouse lives abroad
Removal of ConditionsFor those with expiring 2-year green cards
IR-2 Child VisaFor U.S. citizens with children outside of the U.S.
B1/B2 Tourist VisaFor individuals looking to travel to the U.S.
IR-5 Parent VisaFor U.S. citizens with foreign-born parents
U.S. Citizenship (Naturalization)For green card holders ready to become U.S. citizens
I-90 Green Card Renewal or ReplacementFor current green card holders
H-1B VisaFor foreign professionals who want to work in the U.S.
EB-5 VisaFor investors who want to immigrate to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor foreign investors to start a U.S. business
L-1 VisaFor multinational companies that want to transfer employees to the U.S.
O-1 VisaFor companies that want to bring extraordinary foreign talent to the U.S.
R-1 VisaFor religious workers who need a temporary U.S. visa
TN VisaFor citizens of Mexico and Canada who work in certain professions
F-1 Student VisaFor foreign students who want to study in the U.S.
NaturalizationFor permanent residents ready to become U.S. citizens
Adjustment of StatusFor immigrants looking to adjust their status
Denials & DelaysHelp with delays or denials in the immigration process
Derivative CitizenshipFor foreign-born children with a U.S. parent
Deportation DefenseLegal assistance and protection against deportation
DACAFor certain people who entered the U.S. unlawfully as children
AsylumFor individuals and families seeking asylum
U-VisaFor crime victims who are in fear of deportation
T-VisaFor victims of human trafficking
Affirmative Deferred Action
EB-5For investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.
E-2 VisaFor investors and employers wanting to move to the U.S.

Our Videos

MENTIR Es El ERROR MÁS GRANDE Que Puede Hacer Por Su Caso
Un Mensaje Importante En Este Dia de Acción de Gracias
¿Qué es el Proyecto de Apoyo Para Solicitantes de Asilo?