Form I129F: How to Start the K-1 Visa Application Process

As we have seen, an application for a K-1 visa begins with Form I129F. This is the document used for U.S. citizens to petition for an Alien fiancé(e). Today we will look at your processing times, deadlines, additional documentation, and everything you need to know about this form.

If you want to be reunited with the person you love, Urbina Immigration Law can help you. Our team of lawyers knows immigration law inside out and will do their best to help you every step of the way. Do not risk your future. Speak to an attorney today and file Form I129F in a timely manner.

Form I129F K-1 visa requirements

To be eligible to file Form I129F (and K-1 visa), the applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • U.S. Citizenship: You must be a U.S. citizen to file Form I-129F on behalf of your foreign fiancé(e). Permanent residents are not eligible to file this document.
  • In-person meeting: You must have met your foreign fiancé(e) in person within the last two years prior to filing the application.
  • Legally free to marry: Both you and your fiancé(e ) must be legally free to marry. By way of evidence, you may submit the following documentation (if your case warrants it):
    • Final divorce decree.
    • Cancellation order.
    • Death certificate of your former spouse.
  • Filing Fee: To file Form I129F, a filing fee of $535 is required. It can be paid by money order, personal or cashier’s check or credit card using Form G-1450. If paying by check, you must make the check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • IMBRA Compliance: All K-1 visa applications must comply with the standards of the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA) to prevent domestic violence.
Urbina Immigration Law Services in Georgia pexels edgar colomba 2240293 1 - Urbina Immigration Law.
Only U.S. citizens may apply for the K1 visa under Form I129F.

If you have questions regarding your eligibility, Urbina Immigration Law can help you. Our experienced team of lawyers will accompany you through every step of the process. Do not risk your future and the future of your loved ones by facing this process alone. Contact us today and let’s fight for your rights together.

Documentation required for submission of the form

Both to file Form I129F and to apply for a fiancé(e) visa for your partner, you will need to submit certain supporting documentation, including:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: copy of birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or citizenship, or copy of current U.S. passport.
  • Passport-style color photograph: a recent passport-style color photograph of each of you and your fiancé(e), taken within 30 days of filing the application.
  • Proof of legal name change (if applicable): documentation supporting any legal name changes you have had in the past.
  • Copy of divorce judgments or nullity orders (if applicable): copies of divorce judgments or nullity orders if you or your fiancé(e) have previous divorces or nullity orders.
  • Proof of marriage within 90 days: evidence showing that you and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.
  • Proof of in-person meeting within the last two years: documentation that you have met in person with your fiancé(e) within two years of filing Form I-129F.
  • Evidence of exception to in-person meeting requirements (if applicable): documentation supporting an exception, such as evidence that complying with the in-person meeting requirement would have been contrary to strict foreign customs or would have caused extreme hardship.

It is important to gather all the necessary documentation, as an error or omission can delay or even jeopardize your application. At Urbina Immigration Law we can help you get your papers in order. Contact us today and secure your application by submitting all documentation in a timely manner.

What information does Form I129F ask for?

Form I129F is divided into two parts. In the first one, you will need to provide your personal information, which includes:

  • Classification Interested for your Beneficiary (k-1 or K3, as applicable).
  • Name.
  • Other names you have used (if any).
  • Mailing address.
  • Email address.
  • Date of birth.
  • Number A (if available).
  • Identification Number.
  • USCIS online account number (if available).
  • Social security number (if available).
Urbina Immigration Law Services in Georgia pexels cytonn photography 955389 - Urbina Immigration Law.
Include all required information in the form as clearly as possible to avoid delays and difficulties in your application.

In the second section, however, you must include certain information about your beneficiary, which includes the following:

  • Interested Classification for the beneficiary (K-1 or K-3, as applicable).
  • Name.
  • Date of Birth.
  • Number A (if available).
  • USCIS online account number (if available).
  • Social security number (if available).
  • Mailing address.
  • Email address.

It is extremely important that you include all the required information in the form as clearly and concisely as possible. Remember that an error could result in unwanted delays or even rejection of your request. Therefore, it is advisable to seek legal assistance to ensure that all your documents are filed in a timely manner. 

What are the steps in the Form I129F to permanent residence process?

Step 1 – Filing of Form I129F

In this first step, you will need to complete and file Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)) with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is important that you complete the form accurately and attach all of the supporting documents mentioned above, such as proof of your U.S. citizenship, photographs, and other necessary documentation as your situation requires.

Step 2 – Approval of the Form I129F

Once you have filed Form I129F, USCIS will review it. If you meet the requirements, they will approve the petition, which will allow you to move on to the next step of the process. However, for this it is extremely important to have all of the above mentioned documentation in order and to submit it in a timely manner. Therefore, it is advisable to seek professional help to gather, fill out and submit all the necessary documents.

Step 3 – Visa Application and Interview

In this step, your sponsored fiancé(e) or spouse must apply for the appropriate visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. To do so, he or she must comply with the requirements of the visa application process, which includes undergoing an interview to determine eligibility.

Step 4 – Entry to the U.S. and Marriage

If your visa application is approved, your partner must enter the United States within six months of approval. Once in the country, they must be married within 90 days of arrival.

Step 5 – Application for Green Card and Adjustment of Status

After the marriage, your partner can begin the Green Card application process by filing Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) with USCIS. Once this is done, the only thing left to do is to wait for the approval of the application, which will grant them permanent residency in the United States.

Urbina Immigration Law Services in Georgia pexels dziana hasanbekava 6401677 - Urbina Immigration Law.
After marriage, your partner may begin the Green Card application process.

Remember that this process is complex and requires strict compliance with the requirements and deadlines. The Urbina Immigration Law team can help you. With years of experience and knowledge, our attorneys are dedicated to getting you the visa you need to secure your future. Contact us today and start your new life in the United States.

Where should I file Form I129F?

In the following table, you will find the information you need to send the I129F form to the appropriate address. However, please note that USCIS cannot adjudicate the same at its foreign offices, so you must send it to these addresses for approval. 

Delivery TypeMailing Address
Delivery by Postal Service (USPS)USCIS Attn: I-129F P.O. Box 660151 Dallas, TX 75266-0151
Deliveries by FedEx, UPS and DHLUSCIS Attn: I-129F (Box 660151) 2501 South State Highway 121 Business Suite 400 Lewisville, TX 75067-8003

What if I have not seen my spouse or fiancé(e) in person in the last two years?

If you have not seen your spouse or fiancé(e) in person in the last two years, you may still be eligible to file Form I129F under certain conditions. There are two exceptions to this requirement:
– If meeting your spouse or fiancé(e) beforehand would have violated the strict or traditional customs of your culture.
– If meeting them in person would have caused extreme hardship.

If your case applies, you may file Form I129F, provided you have adequate supporting documentation. However, it is important to seek legal counsel to analyze your case and make sure that you qualify for these exceptions.

Can I include my fiancé(e)’s children on Form I129F?

Yes, you may include your fiancé(e)’s children on Form I129F if they wish to live in the United States on a K-2 nonimmigrant visa. To do so, you will need to provide their names and other personal information on the Form.

However, it is important to note that these children must be unmarried under the age of 21 to be eligible for this visa class and other benefits (such as applying for a Green Card) of marrying their mother or father after entering the country.

How long does it take to get a Form I129F approved?

Form I129F approval time varies depending on USCIS workload and other factors. However, it is advisable to check your answers and attach the required documentation to avoid unwanted delays or complications. Also, remember that you can check the status of your application on the USCIS website.

Is there any way to speed up the processing of Form I129F?

There is no way to expedite the processing of Form I129F. However, you may apply to USCIS for expedited processing. To do so, you will need to provide your 13-digit case receipt number and supporting documentation. USCIS will evaluate your request and either approve or deny it for expedited processing.

Gather your documentation with professional help

The Form I129F is the initial step in the k-1 visa application process. Not only that, but supporting documentation is also essential when submitting this form  , and an error or omission can be an obstacle to your application. Don’t risk your future with the person you love by facing this process alone. 

At Urbina Immigration Law we can help you gather and fill out all the necessary documentation. Our attorneys know what you are going through, and will help you every step of the way. Contact us today and let’s start fighting for your right to a life with the one you love.


USCIS – I129F, Petition for Alien Fiancee or Fiancé(e)

USCIS – Visas for Fiancé of U.S. Citizens

Other resources

K-1 fiancé visa: everything you need to know

Why can the K1 visa be denied? Factors influencing their denial

K1 Visa Approved: Steps to follow and Recommendations

What is the CR1 Visa? A complete guide

Getting married in the U.S. as an undocumented immigrant: what you need to know

Conditional residency by marriage: what happens if I divorce before permanent residency?

How to complete the removal of conditions process with Form I-751

What proofs of marriage should I submit to USCIS?

Guide for beneficiaries: If I have a U Visa, can I get married?